Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Wonder Years

This past weekend my boyfriend and I were out to dinner with my sister and her husband. I'm not sure how the conversation turned to this topic, but my sister and I suddenly found ourselves talking about our childhood and how during boring summer breaks, we used to hold mock-beauty pageants with one another, actually we did mock-everything at this age -- school, news segments, etc.

This conversation then lead to the discussion of how I didn't meet my siblings until I was 7. True story.

It's one of those things where you think everyone who really knows you already knows this, but somewhere in between the whirlwind of the last 6 months, I'd omitted this tidbit from my boyfriend, unintentionally of course.

So, I know it's kind of weird and most certainly not the norm, but not meeting my siblings until that age is probably one my most favorite facts about myself. Needless to say, I was a nightmare. I didn't share because I grew up thinking I was an only child and I was quite spoiled. When three young siblings enter your life thus changing the balance (or imbalance, rather) that I once knew, I changed and I couldn't help it.

As an adult with full control of my balance, it's interesting to see how the addition of new people in your life can change you for the better. Additionally, it works just the same way when you remove people from it. In the mathematics breakdown that is your social and personal life, when will we ever produce the ideal remainder?

No comments:

Post a Comment