Saturday, November 1, 2008

Boft: Noun or Verb?


It's both, actually.

And now for a random blog.

To begin with, Boft, or Boof as a noun is my best friend, Fran. Boof as a noun is also her best friend, yours truly. I can't remember how many years ago we decided to start calling each other "boof." Calling each other Fran and Tash just didn't sound right. We first just started calling each other "best friend" in public, every now and then we still do, but it eventually became too much work to say two words. "Best friend" then turned into "bf" which sounded a little too much like "boyfriend."

Then one day she came up with "boof," I think it was an accident actually, I can't remember. So for a year or so we called each other boof. It just kind of felt right, I can't really explain it. It got to the point that saying "boof" became natural and literally no one began to question it. It felt so natural that even our parents call us "boofs." Her boyfriend calls us "boofs," and some of the men I've dated since we've adopted the term has called us "boofs." We've even had professors call us "boofs," it caught on like wildfire. :)

Around this time last year we were walking down Michigan Avenue, on one of our "galavanting" escapades, talking about life and such. Somehow the conversation turned into how far we've come and how we've grown that we decided we needed another name. And "Boft" was born. It's funny when we talk about the story now, like we'd been dating for years.

Boft as a verb just means bofts spending time together, for example, "Boft, let's boft today." And that sounds incredibly dirty as I read this out loud but there's nothing sexual about it. Yes, we both know what "boft" means if you look it up in the urban dictionary, no relation!

So with the craziness that is our lives, I haven't seen my boft in two months! And so today, I'm happy to announce that I got to see my boft, I visited her at work. Sadly, we did not get a chance to boft. Maybe next time, boft?

UPDATE: For those of you who have been asking, my first week without meat in my diet is going really well, thanks for the support! Yesterday and today especially I've been feeling really light and energized. Oh and, I'm currently transitioning from 2% milk to light soymilk. Soymilk is an acquired taste, at least that's how I feel. It's not terrible though. I literally have to tell myself out loud that "I can do this," while I drink it or eat it with my cereal. I chase it with water. :) The only downfall honestly is that it's expensive. You know, it's really weird, I thought it would be harder than this to take meat out of my diet. But yesterday and today I've eaten at The Cheesecake Factory and Joyyee's. And if I can eat just vegetables at those two faves of mine then I'm set for life.

UPDATE #2: Fran just told me of how "boof" came along. Okay, so remember how I said we wanted to call each other "bf" but it just didn't sound right? Well we were on the phone and she was on her computer and she was typing and every time she came across "b" and "f" she always wanted to say "bf" pronounced, "bfff," like just the sound. We started laughing of course, and decided that it sounded like "boof." For a brief period her dad called us "beef," ha, oh well, at least he thought it was funny.

UPDATE #3: I was in Forever 21 today and do you know what I heard? First they played "Atlantis to Interzone," by the Klaxons--not the original cut of it, THE REMIX OF IT BY CRYSTAL CASTLES. So I'm already annoyed that I'm hearing one of my favorite songs inside a chain store but what do they play next? "Sleepy Head" by Passion Pit. No, I'm not joking. I left not too long after. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. try chocolate soymilk. it's 10x better. unless you've tried it and hate it. then obviously it's not. haha but soy dream is a good one if you're going to try it. i don't like silk. being veg is alllll about experimentation, i tell ya. haha

    ReplyDelete