Thursday, October 16, 2008

Kalamansi

Since my mom was still finishing college while I was growing up, my grandparents pretty much raised me. When I was sick, my grandpa would boil hot water and squeeze kalamansi into the cup for me to drink. He always did this for me when I was sick, and I'm not sure why, but it was the best remedy for any ailments I had. I can almost imagine him preparing this, perched over the stove, watching the water while cutting fresh kalamansi.

With the chaos of the past few days--all of which seemingly have meshed into an infinite amount of hours, my body is worn out. I haven't been sleeping for more than four hours at a time, and when I wake up, it's go-go-go. It probably didn't help that I walked around in the rain yesterday running errands and such. I also tend to forget to eat. Believe me, with my schedule the way it is, it's hard to remember to eat something. Every morning I have two organic, whole wheat, flax seed waffles. And since I'm full in the morning, I forget to eat anything else during the day.

When I woke up this morning I felt sick but pushed myself to get ready and get to campus early to work on some papers before class. I got my work done, went to class and by my third (out of five) class, I could literally feel the heat coming from out of my eyes, my headache intensified and for some reason my ear began to ache. I left in the middle of class because I seriously thought that I might honestly just collapse by the end of the day.

After spending a pretty ridiculous amount of money on soup, nyquil and other things at the store, I realized all I really want is a warm cup of water infused with kalamansi. It's been a really long time since I've missed my grandpa. I mean, I miss him everyday but with how non-stop my life has been, I haven't taken the time to really miss him. Until right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment